A plain text resume is one that doesn’t include any formatting-such as styling, fonts, and other formats that common writing programs and applications use. Every applicant should have a plain text resume version as it is readable by any employer program-no matter the program-so that employers do not have to try to decode your special formatted resume, or scan it into their own readable format. Many employers will ask for this type of format when applying, and this is why it is invaluable to have one on hand-especially, as no other version will be accepted in this case. Below, is a sample of what a plain text resume looks like.
1345 Hire Me Circle
Detroit, Michigan 12345
H: (999) 999-9999; W: (999) 999-9999
Technical Writer for successful technology firm
Six years of experience in technical writing of technical documentation, user materials, and computer programming instruction manuals-thereby aiding consumers to understand otherwise complicated technological jargon.
• All technical software applications, as well as basic writing and online publishing software, such as Dreamweaver and Quark.
• OPERATING SYSTEMS: MS Windows, In-House proprietary system.
•APPLICATIONS: Microsoft Office, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Visual C++, Lotus Freelance, etc.
San Bagy Systems, Detroit, MI, 2005-Present
•Provide all technical writing for internal documentation and user manual materials for employees; as well as for external third party company products.
• Manage all in house memos for employee communications and understanding.
• Conduct on-site tutorials on technical writing and implementation of new writing materials for employee performance enhancement.
Freelance Technical Writer 2002-2005
• Provided technical writing for a wide range of clients requiring short term and long term technical documentation
•Drafted a number of documents for online and print technical user interfaces and documentation.
•Bachelors of Arts, University of Michigan